Lots of Spills and Sunshine

Lots of Spills and Sunshine

Friday, April 30, 2010

mucho grac-ias

every time i drive to my mums i see these two lawns, one pristine and one well not so pristine. i have been trying to remember to bring my camera to capture the ravenous difference between the two lawns. however i have failed to do such a thing. instead i encourage you to close your eyes and imagine... first read then close...



do you turn yellow when peed upon? or do you sparkle?

do you blow in the wind? or do you stand completely still?

do you need the sun and soil? or perhaps just a good installation?

do you need constant TLC? or do you enjoy lack of touch?

do you relish in your eclectic lengths and colours? or do you enjoy your perfect self?

do you have constant visitors ranging from worms to saints? or do you request only those with similar looks?

are you grass or aster turf?

i am grass, i am peed on, pooped on, stepped on and watered. i am nourished by the sun and taken care of those who love and appreciate me enough to help me grow. despite my yellowing, uneven characteristics and crab grass.

as much as i believe it is worthy to be "heading in the right direction" i believe it is worthy to be happy with your imperfect self and to not project a perfect self. because well that is just not possible yet.

lately i have been bothered, most likely by too much, none the less i have been bothered. mostly by do gooders who do good to look good, to me this is frivilous and bothersome. i just dont see the point in trying to belittle others by inflating oneself.

it is ok to have laundry stacked a mile high, it is ok to make beans on toast and quesidillas regularly, it is also ok to have children who do not listen and who embaress you.

it is ok to turn yellow when peed upon and to not take too kindly when pooped on.

when speaking with todd about how the one neighbour was just completely made to look awfull because of their neighbours perfect lawn, he informed me that the perfect one was aster turf!

so the next time you feel outshined by the mom who never looses her cool or the fellow employee who is continually wearing a gold star or the neighbour who only has a alphabetized organising system in their garage; just remember that under that crisp hunter green lawn is soil, rocks and all the other things that make them like you and me.

**** the title of my post is in memory of a silly card from my grandma, on the front was a cartoon bum covered in grass and on the inside it read mucho grassy-a** *********

5 comments:

ColleenDown said...

I LOVE this!!! You captured it Chelsea--your posts always make me smile. I am certainly an au naturale type girl and hate plastic grass and plastic people. I love the real deal, which includes you.

Lisa S. Luckey said...

Very well put! I love it and thank you for writing it down. I was actually feeling bothered by this this week and you have put a different perspective on it for which I thank you for. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Your posts always inspire and uplift me.

Lisa :-)

Laura said...

Well-written, Chelsea, well-written. I SO agree... I just had a conversation with a friend about this very topic. There are so many who just have to "look" so perfect, but deep down they aren't. And it just makes the rest of us who don't look perfect feel like failures. Thanks for a great post!

Heather said...

What a great analogy. It makes me think of my own lawn (my literal lawn, not my figurative one). It is definitely like lawn number two. The expert analysis is that if we want our lawn to be nice and green we have to build the soil. We need to nourish what is underneath and the rest will take care of itself. But I will take my patchy, dry, weedy lawn, with plenty of room to improve over a plastic one anyday.

jessica&john.com said...

Ha ha. This is awesome. On the strip in vegas they use Astroturf too...Ironic.
I know where you live. That real grass will be greening up with the rain soon enough. Such a pretty place. I think like grass we all go through seasons.
I try to just remember every one is trying their best.
Hope you're doing well